Development Questions/Suggestions

One of the other things I noticed about Roots is that the HTML uses a lot of Bootstrap-specific markup in the classes. What Iā€™ve tried to do in my personal fork of Roots is edit that markup for semantics, rather than Bootstrap specific code:

https://github.com/mAAdhaTTah/roots-semantic-codekit

(I also edited it for using Codekit and keeping the framework outside of the theme, but thatā€™s another issue.)

The other thing I wanted to ask was about this issue/confusion that I came across while working on another site:

http://discourse.roots.io/t/using-the-content-for-excerpt-with-roots/367/2?u=maadhattah

If the developers are interested, I think the framework would improve by:

1. Replacing the Bootstrap-specific markup with semantic markup on the front-end and using bootstrap mixins on the back-end.

2. Replacing the loop on the single.php with a get_template_part calling content-(post-format).php instead, and fixing the content.php to be ā€œuniversalā€ i.e. using is_single, etc. to make it look right.

I would be happy to do it if you guys are interested. I just ask before I go ahead and do it because Iā€™d have to unwind my Codekit-related commits before submitting the pull request.

Thanks for a great framework guys!

Iā€™m not exactly sure how you could turn col-sm-4 more semantic. Is it semantic? Not exactly, but the idea of having everything 100% semantic just isnā€™t possible in my opinion, and really comes down to semantics, in this way meaning not necessary.

The issue you run into with turning things 100% semantic is you can set up .main and .sidebar with the Bootstrap CSS, and then possibly other areas with semantic CSS classes, but then you get into having a bunch of CSS classes set to very specific widths and other CSS.

It comes down to personal preference oftentimes, and yes, many others wonā€™t agree with choices made. But hey, in the end, the website displays correctly, loads quickly, and makes sense to more than 1 developer, youā€™re not doing too bad.

Well, no - col-sm-4 (for example) isnā€™t ā€˜semantic.ā€™ Making it a semantic class would include just classing it as ā€˜sidebar,ā€™ and then using the .make-sm-column(4) Bootstrap mixin in Less. There wouldnā€™t be any need for specific widths or even much extra CSS, because itā€™s done with Less.

The idea is basically the HTML classes should describe what something is while the CSS rules tell you how to display it. Naming something col-sm-4 doesnā€™t tell you what it is and could make it harder to work with in the future. Also, given Bootstrap changed all its classes in BS3, making the front-end semantic would make future upgrades easier.

Yes, I understand and agree to a large degree with making things semantic. What I meant though, was you would have to add mixins to every ā€œsemanticā€ column you wanted to make in your website. IMO, this would cause a lot of CSS bloat, since every place you mixin col-sm-4 will have the same widths and duplicate CSS.

Really, itā€™s not a big deal though, as I believe itā€™s only the class being added on to col-sm-4 in CSS. I can see doing that for the main sections I suppose.

This would create unnecessary/duplicate CSS, so I canā€™t see it being incorporated into Roots. If you want to create only the columns you need, I would suggest removing the others from grid.less.

1 Like

Fair enough, Iā€™ll keep that for my personal use.

What about my second suggestion RE: de-duping the loop with content.php?

Personally, I donā€™t like the idea of adding more logic to templates/content.php. There are a lot of things that change when you have multiple posts per page (headings need to be changed for SEO, comments donā€™t need to be displayed, thumbnails will change size etc) and it will just get cluttered if all of those are contained within conditionals.

What I do instead is change single.php to this:

<?php get_template_part('templates/content-single', get_post_format()); ?>

Yeah, thatā€™s what I do as well - Iā€™m actually going to switch that over to my default with conditionals rather than the way itā€™s set up currently.

Ok, Iā€™ll keep both ideas for personal use. Thanks again!

Actually, I was just thinking - in the starter theme, you wouldnā€™t necessarily require a lot of conditionals, and it would actually declutter duplicate code in the other template files. Thoughts?

Iā€™d need an example to try to envision what youā€™re suggesting.