One of the other things I noticed about Roots is that the HTML uses a lot of Bootstrap-specific markup in the classes. What I’ve tried to do in my personal fork of Roots is edit that markup for semantics, rather than Bootstrap specific code:
(I also edited it for using Codekit and keeping the framework outside of the theme, but that’s another issue.)
The other thing I wanted to ask was about this issue/confusion that I came across while working on another site:
If the developers are interested, I think the framework would improve by:
Replacing the Bootstrap-specific markup with semantic markup on the front-end and using bootstrap mixins on the back-end.
Replacing the loop on the single.php with a get_template_part calling content-(post-format).php instead, and fixing the content.php to be “universal” i.e. using is_single, etc. to make it look right.
I would be happy to do it if you guys are interested. I just ask before I go ahead and do it because I’d have to unwind my Codekit-related commits before submitting the pull request.
Thanks for a great framework guys!