Error starting a virtual machine with Lima

It could be that the timeout occurs very quickly and does not give time to download the resources.

In another project I used the command several times with --force and finally I can get it running, but not in this one.

If I try to access the resources from the browser, they download with no problem.

➜  Trellis trellis new nomanisanisland.com        
Creating new Trellis project in /Users/aitor/Documents/Trellis/nomanisanisland.com

Site domain [nomanisanisland.com]: 

✔ nomanisanisland.com
Aborting: error while downloading Trellis
Error fetching release information from the GitHub API: Get "https://api.github.com/repos/roots/trellis/releases/latest": context deadline exceeded (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers)

This could be a temporary network error. Please delete this project folder and try again.

This is probably related to GitHub outages earlier today? GitHub Status - Incident with Actions, API Requests, Codespaces, Git Operations, Issues, Pages, Pull Requests and Webhooks

I’m experiencing the issue right now but I can reach the API with no problems from browser:

https://api.github.com/repos/roots/trellis/releases/latest

Also I can reach the final resource:

https://codeload.github.com/roots/trellis/legacy.zip/refs/tags/v1.21.0

:upside_down_face:

It seems that suddenly it works. The problem may be that when deleting virtual machines with trellis vm delete, the process did not finish correctly and some kind of configuration is left somewhere. I have looked in etc/hosts and the entries are removed fine. Is there somewhere else I should look into?

This is the error I get when trying to stop VM:

trellis vm stop 
Running command => limactl stop nomanisanisland.com
INFO[0000] Sending SIGINT to hostagent process 10248    
INFO[0000] Waiting for the host agent and the driver processes to shut down 
INFO[0000] [hostagent] 2023/05/09 19:08:35 tcpproxy: for incoming conn 127.0.0.1:51156, error dialing "192.168.5.15:22": connect tcp 192.168.5.15:22: no route to host 
INFO[0000] [hostagent] Received SIGINT, shutting down the host agent 
INFO[0000] [hostagent] Shutting down the host agent     
INFO[0000] [hostagent] Stopping forwarding "/run/lima-guestagent.sock" (guest) to "/Users/aitor/.lima/nomanisanisland.com/ga.sock" (host) 
INFO[0000] [hostagent] Shutting down VZ                 
ERRO[0001] [hostagent] dhcp: unhandled message type: RELEASE 
INFO[0001] [hostagent] panic: runtime/cgo: misuse of an invalid Handle 
INFO[0001] [hostagent] goroutine 17 [running, locked to thread]: 
INFO[0001] [hostagent] runtime/cgo.Handle.Value(...)    
INFO[0001] [hostagent] 	/usr/local/Cellar/go/1.20.3/libexec/src/runtime/cgo/handle.go:124 
INFO[0001] [hostagent] github.com/Code-Hex/vz/v3.changeStateOnObserver(0x0, 0xc000006601?) 
INFO[0001] [hostagent] 	/Users/brew/Library/Caches/Homebrew/go_mod_cache/pkg/mod/github.com/!code-!hex/vz/v3@v3.0.5/virtualization.go:160 +0xb4 
FATA[0180] did not receive an event with the "exiting" status 
Error stopping VM
exit status 1
➜  trellis

This was a known issue in lima: `panic: runtime/cgo: misuse of an invalid Handle` (`Code-Hex/vz/v3.changeStateOnObserver`) · Issue #1381 · lima-vm/lima · GitHub

It should be fixed in the next release.

Regarding the original issue, are you saying that while a VM is running you get those timeouts downloading from GitHub but not when the VM is stopped?

In the last tests I’ve done starting virtual machines from scratch everything has worked fine (except the mentioned panic runtime when stopping the machine, which is a known problem in Lima). The original problem seems to have disappeared. If it comes back, I’ll open the thread again.

I don’t understand what was the cause because the problem persisted a while even after the Github incident was fixed.

Thank you very much for your help. :pray:

2 Likes

Three days ago version 0.16 of Lima was released. The error when stopping the virtual machine has been fixed.

brew upgrade lima just works

2 Likes