Gulp --Production ate my footer

Just pushed to my demo site with a before deploy hook running all to display the theme correctly:

# Placeholder `deploy_build_before` hook for building theme assets locally
# and then copying the files to the remote server
#
# Uncomment the lines below and replace `sage` with your theme folder

---
- name: Run npm install
  command: npm install
  connection: local
  args:
    chdir: "{{ project.local_path }}/web/app/themes/ianua"

- name: Run bower install
  command: bower install
  args:

- name: Run gulp
  command: gulp --production
  args:

- name: Copy project local files
  synchronize:
    src: "{{ project.local_path }}/web/app/themes/ianua/dist"
    dest: "{{ deploy_helper.new_release_path }}/web/app/themes/ianua"
    group: no
    owner: no
    rsync_opts: --chmod=Du=rwx,--chmod=Dg=rx,--chmod=Do=rx,--chmod=Fu=rw,--chmod=Fg=r,--chmod=Fo=r

Running all on developer with just gulp is fine. So something is off here. Header is not 100% on demo site now and footer (with some sidebars including one wrapped in an ACL if this field YES then show) is not being rendered. Should I switch to staging locally and see what is up? Are there way to debug issues when doing gulp --production?

gulp --production doesn’t change anything in your PHP or database, where your footer’s structure and content are set, so unless it’s a style sheet issue (like if you can see the footer in the page source but it’s being hidden from view) I think the problem is with your database, and not with gulp.

Be aware that Trellis doesn’t copy the database when you deploy, so I think the first things I would check are whether the sidebars and ACF fields are set up the same way on staging as they are on dev.

3 Likes

You might also want to make sure there are no PHP errors which are happening before the footer and stopping execution short

2 Likes

I made ACF a must use plugin now and this way it got installed and activated automatically. It was the get_field function that killed the footer as none was there. Also wrapped it in a function_exists now. Looking into a way to wrap all these guys in function_exists blocks. Tried get_meta_post, but the block did not get loaded. But well, that is not really Sage related. thanks for making me think both database setups and thinking again about what gulp --production really does.