Having trouble getting gulp to work with sage 8.4.2

I used the old roots theme and am trying to migrate to sage, but I cannot get the gulp task to compile the files (OSx)

I have upgraded npm, bower and gulp:

npm : 3.10.16
gulp : 3.9.1
bower: 1.7.9

running npm install and bower install seem to complete correctly (with a few deprecations). Running gulp gives the following however:

(node:35882) fs: re-evaluating native module sources is not supported. If you are using the graceful-fs module, please update it to a more recent version.
[11:54:52] Using gulpfile ~/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/gulpfile.js
[11:54:52] Starting 'clean'...
[11:54:52] Finished 'clean' after 3.2 ms
[11:54:52] Starting 'default'...
[11:54:52] Starting 'build'...
[11:54:52] Starting 'wiredep'...
[11:54:53] 'wiredep' errored after 158 ms
[11:54:53] TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
    at flattenGlob (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/glob2base/index.js:9:25)
    at setToBase (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/glob2base/index.js:48:12)
    at module.exports (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/glob2base/index.js:56:19)
    at Object.gs.createStream (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/gulp/node_modules/glob-stream/index.js:34:42)
    at Object.gs.create (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/gulp/node_modules/glob-stream/index.js:76:43)
    at Gulp.src (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/gulp/node_modules/vinyl-fs/lib/src/index.js:33:23)
    at Gulp.<anonymous> (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/gulpfile.js:276:15)
    at module.exports (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/orchestrator/lib/runTask.js:34:7)
    at Gulp.Orchestrator._runTask (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/orchestrator/index.js:273:3)
    at Gulp.Orchestrator._runStep (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/orchestrator/index.js:214:10)
[11:54:53] 'build' errored after 162 ms
[11:54:53] TypeError in plugin 'run-sequence(wiredep)'
    Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
Stack:
TypeError: Cannot read property 'length' of undefined
    at flattenGlob (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/glob2base/index.js:9:25)
    at setToBase (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/glob2base/index.js:48:12)
    at module.exports (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/glob2base/index.js:56:19)
    at Object.gs.createStream (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/gulp/node_modules/glob-stream/index.js:34:42)
    at Object.gs.create (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/gulp/node_modules/glob-stream/index.js:76:43)
    at Gulp.src (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/gulp/node_modules/vinyl-fs/lib/src/index.js:33:23)
    at Gulp.<anonymous> (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/gulpfile.js:276:15)
    at module.exports (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/orchestrator/lib/runTask.js:34:7)
    at Gulp.Orchestrator._runTask (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/orchestrator/index.js:273:3)
    at Gulp.Orchestrator._runStep (/Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.2/node_modules/orchestrator/index.js:214:10)
[11:54:53] Finished 'default' after 164 ms

Any pointers on where to go to fix this would be appreciated.

I have got this error too! I might run an older version of the theme to see if that resolves it.

That seems to have worked. I run Sage 8.4.1 and it worked!

Darn, I should have tried that! Yes, same here, reverting to 8.4.1 works just fine.

Should I open an issue against the Github repo?

I do get these deprecations:

npm cache clear && rm -rf node_modules && npm install
npm WARN deprecated gulp-minify-css@1.2.4: Please use gulp-clean-css
npm WARN deprecated minimatch@2.0.10: Please update to minimatch 3.0.2 or higher to avoid a RegExp DoS issue
npm WARN deprecated tough-cookie@2.2.2: ReDoS vulnerability parsing Set-Cookie https://nodesecurity.io/advisories/130
npm WARN deprecated minimatch@0.2.14: Please update to minimatch 3.0.2 or higher to avoid a RegExp DoS issue
npm WARN deprecated lodash@1.0.2: lodash@<3.0.0 is no longer maintained. Upgrade to lodash@^4.0.0.
npm WARN deprecated graceful-fs@1.2.3: graceful-fs v3.0.0 and before will fail on node releases >= v7.0. Please update to graceful-fs@^4.0.0 as soon as possible. Use 'npm ls graceful-fs' to find it in the tree.
npm WARN deprecated minimatch@1.0.0: Please update to minimatch 3.0.2 or higher to avoid a RegExp DoS issue
npm WARN deprecated graceful-fs@2.0.3: graceful-fs v3.0.0 and before will fail on node releases >= v7.0. Please update to graceful-fs@^4.0.0 as soon as possible. Use 'npm ls graceful-fs' to find it in the tree.
npm WARN prefer global jshint@2.9.3 should be installed with -g
npm WARN prefer global node-gyp@3.4.0 should be installed with -g

p.p.s - I do get this warning in the gulp task:

‘layouts/tinymce.less’ wasn’t found. Tried - /Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.1/assets/styles/layouts/tinymce.less,layouts/tinymce.less in file /Users/patrickdavey/sites/blog.psdavey.com/wp-content/themes/sage-8.4.1/assets/styles/main.scss line no. 19

which I “fixed” by removing less as per this comment