ImportError: could not import sass

I recently started a new project and followed the documentation to swap out Tailwind for Bootstrap. After several attempts to create and re-create the project following the instructions to the tee, I keep hitting the same road block.

[sage] › ✖  (node:74221) Warning: To load an ES module, set "type": "module" in the package.json or use the .mjs extension.
(Use `node --trace-warnings ...` to show where the warning was created)

BudError 

✘ ImportError: could not import sass
problem running hook booted

☰ Stack trace
problem running hook booted
    at BudSass.import (node_modules/@roots/bud-sass/node_modules/@roots/bud-framework/lib/extension/index.js:257:19)
    at async BudSass.register (node_modules/@roots/bud-sass/lib/extension.js:12:32)
    at async BudSass._register (node_modules/@roots/bud-sass/node_modules/@roots/bud-framework/lib/extension/index.js:67:13)

Here’s the process and what I have tried so far:

• Creating a theme project with composer create-project
  • Installing Acorn
  • Configuring Dev URL and Soil
  • Removing tailwind References
  • Installing Bootstrap and popperjs

Build works to this point, 100%. The following is where it fails / doesn’t work:

• Setting up Support for Sass, per docs
  • Installing Stylelint
  • Updating Deps to latest
  • Did the same process several times with both, Yarn and NPM
  • Tried other small config tweaks to no avail

I am using MacOS with Apple M2 if that makes any difference.

Has anyone else encountered this or have any pointers where to look? Much appreciated!

Does the advice in this thread help?

Looks like there’s an upstream bug in Sass that appeared in the most recent version they published yesterday

https://github.com/roots/bud/issues/2311#issuecomment-1582844181

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses.

This was definitely a bug in Sass. Downgrading to an earlier version solved the issue.

Another solution which doesn’t require downgrading is to use the “resolutions” key in your package.json.

"resolutions": {
    "**/sass": "1.62.0"
  }

You’ll probably need to rm -rf node_modules && yarn install afterwards, but this will enable all devDependencies and peerDependencies of your packages to share the same version of sass (provided it meets criteria).

1 Like