Kinsta fix for composer updates on deploys

I thought this might be useful to the community. When using Kinsta, after the initial deploy, the composer.json file wasn’t being updated on new deploys. (Commits and everything were a-ok.)

So I did some digging and found this updated bit in this guide written by @ben.

And I tried this part of the guide:

However, for whatever reason, no changes were actually being made.

Anyways, I did a bunch of tweaking, and I did get it working by changing the task to this:

- name: Install Composer dependencies - Kinsta fix
  composer:
    command: install
    working_dir: /www/example_123/public/current

Not sure if this is necessarily the “right” way for this to be done, but hopefully it’s helpful to somebody.

2 Likes

I am having the same issue and not sure how to get this resolved. Here’s is my file.

---
- block:
  - name: Remove WordPress transient containing old release path
    shell: "{{ project.multisite.enabled | default(false) | ternary('wp network meta delete 1', 'wp option delete') }} _site_transient_theme_roots ||:"
    args:
      chdir: "{{ deploy_helper.current_path }}"
    register: site_transient_theme_roots
    changed_when: site_transient_theme_roots.stdout != ''
    when: project.update_wp_theme_paths | default(update_wp_theme_paths | default(true)) | bool

- name: Update WP theme paths
    command: >
      wp option set {{ item[0].option }}
      {{ item[1] | regex_replace('.*' + deploy_helper.releases_path + '/[^/]*(.*)', deploy_helper.new_release_path + '\1') }}
      {% if project.multisite.enabled | default(false) %} --url={{ item[1].split(' ')[0] }}{% endif %}
    args:
    when: project.update_wp_theme_paths | default(update_wp_theme_paths | default(true)) | bool
    with_subelements:
      - "[{% for result in wp_template_root.results %}{'option': '{{ result.item }}', 'stdout_lines': {{ result.stdout_lines | default ([]) | select('search', deploy_helper.releases_path) | list }}},{% endfor %}]"
      - stdout_lines

- name: Warn about updating network database.
    debug:
      msg: "Updating the network database could take a long time with a large number of sites."
    when: project.update_db_on_deploy | default(update_db_on_deploy) and project.multisite.enabled | default(false)

- name: Update WP database
    command: wp core update-db {{ project.multisite.enabled | default(false) | ternary('--network', '') }}
    args:
    when: project.update_db_on_deploy | default(update_db_on_deploy)

when: wp_installed.rc == 0

composer:
    working_dir: /www/project_358/public/current/web/app/themes/sage

- name: Clear Kinsta cache
  uri:
    url: "{{ site_env.wp_home }}/kinsta-clear-cache-all/"
    method: GET

Everything completes successfully this way but then it tells still tells me me to run composer install from the sage directory. So I SSH in, navigate to the sage directory and run that command. The site loads but all my resources are missing.

If I indent these two blocks:

composer:
    working_dir: /www/project_358/public/current/web/app/themes/sage

- name: Clear Kinsta cache
  uri:
    url: "{{ site_env.wp_home }}/kinsta-clear-cache-all/"
    method: GET

and deploy to Kinsta, I get the following error in my terminal and it won’t complete:

We were unable to read either as JSON nor YAML, these are the errors we got
from each:
JSON: No JSON object could be decoded

Syntax Error while loading YAML.
  expected <block end>, but found '-'

The error appears to be in '/Volumes/LaCie/_development/_trellis/_hybrid/trel
lis.project.build/trellis/roles/deploy/hooks/finalize-after.yml': line 36,
column 3, but may
be elsewhere in the file depending on the exact syntax problem.

The offending line appears to be:

^ here
fatal: [kinsta_staging]: FAILED! => {"reason": "We were unable to read either as JSON nor YAML, these are the errors we got from each:\nJSON: No JSON object could be decoded\n\nSyntax Error while loading YAML.\n  expected <block end>, but found '-'\n\nThe error appears to be in '/Volumes/LaCie/_development/_trellis/_hybrid/trellis.project.build/trellis/roles/deploy/hooks/finalize-after.yml': line 36, column 3, but may\nbe elsewhere in the file depending on the exact syntax problem.\n\nThe offending line appears to be:\n\n\n  - name: Install Composer dependencies - Kinsta fix\n  ^ here\n"}

The documentation on Kinsta and Roots should be updated to help solve issue.

Any suggestions?

The documentation on Kinsta and Roots should be updated to help solve issue.
Any suggestions?

Talk to Kinsta support. You are paying for their services.

1 Like

I tried but they’re unwilling to help with this. It appears moving the composer and cache block up above wp_installed solved the issue and the working directory path has to be the theme path vs the /current path.