Scout Branding, located in Birmingham, AL, is looking for a Web Developer with Roots stack experience to join our team.
Scout Branding is a highly-concentrated branding, advertising, design, digital, and media company located in Birmingham, AL. We specialize in brand design and custom website builds. We’re small on wasted resources and big on ideas that build relationships between people and brands. We are: Straightforward. Creative. Hardworking. Nice. Strategic. Smart. Energetic. Fun. Focused. Flexible.
Scout Branding is a small team that enjoys collaborating with each other as much as possible and having fun. There are consistently several projects running at once and each has a mix of deliverables and requirements. We value a low pressure environment and approach work with a healthy pace. We meet together each day over Google Meets (video optional) for status updates and to adjust priorities. There’s no micro-management here—we trust that you will see tasks through to completion and communicate with your fellow team members when needed or ask for help when needed. We use Google Chat, Slack, and email for the majority of our daily communication.
Scout Branding builds custom websites for small and large organizations. We maintain relationships and provide ongoing support and hosting for many of our clients. Most of the work we do is centered around custom Laravel flavored WordPress builds. Our goal is always to create accessible, secure, performant and well-designed web experiences. We enjoy working with clients to find the right strategic answer rather than just any answer.
We are very interested in talking to anyone who would like to hear more and thinks they may enjoy working at Scout Branding. We’re open to hiring either a full-time or part-time developer. Scout operates on a hybrid work schedule with two days in the office and three days remote per week, but is open to discussing fully remote schedules for candidates located outside of a reasonable commuting distance. If you possess the qualities listed below, we want to hear from you!
- You have coded many custom WP themes from scratch or using a boilerplate and prefer this approach over using a site builder.
- You have experience with Roots Sage, Bedrock and Trellis or something very similar.
- You are enthusiastic about web development and new technologies.
- You are familiar with using build tools such as Laravel Mix, Webpack, bud.js and package managers such as Composer, Yarn, and NPM.
- You have experience building in Laravel and/or using Blade templating.
- You are familiar using CSS frameworks such as Tailwind and Bootstrap
- You are familiar with Git and possibly other version control systems.
- You can set up local and production environments such as Vagrant, Apache, NGINX, LAMP/LEMP, etc. and are comfortable using the command line to connect to and navigate remote servers.
- You are used to assessing the pros and cons of using a third party plugin and have written your own custom WP plugins.
- You have knowledge of relational and non-relational databases.
- You are flexible and have an independent and structured way of working.
- You have experience with remote work, self-motivation and online communication.
- You have analytical skills and a creative and solution-oriented way of thinking and working.
- You have communication skills with colleagues and customers from the technical and non-technical field.
- Approach projects with a strategic, forward-thinking mindset.
- Perform project discoveries and provide time and budget estimates.
- Communicate technical and non-technical approaches.
- Implement and troubleshoot build tools and processes.
- Prioritize accessibility, security and performance.
- A generous company holiday schedule, including the week between Christmas and New Years.
- Two weeks of personal time off.
- Fully paid Blue Cross Blue Shield health insurance premiums. Dental included.
- Paid time off for parental leave.
- Equipment needed to work in comfort.
- A warm culture that appreciates YOU.
- Submit a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org that outlines your qualifications for this position.
- A resume or C.V. is welcome if you’d like, though not required.
- A portfolio of your recent work or link to GitHub is a major plus.
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions about the position, the process or Scout Branding.
Scout Branding values diversity in all of its forms and is committed to fostering an inclusive and equitable work environment. We especially encourage women, black, indigenous and people of color, LGBTQIA+ people and individuals with disabilities to apply.