Migrating from Sage 9 to 10

Hi

It’s been a few years since I have been here. I wanted some advice, I built a client’s website back in early 2020 with Sage 9, and since then there have been updates made but now with PHP 7.4 no longer receiving updates, it is time to update the theme. Although, I’ve been putting it off due to the big differences between versions 9 and 10. It will not be an easy task as well as the site being a monster.

I want to hear other people’s approaches to migration and any difficulties. I am primarily a Laravel developer which is what draws me to Sage. But I am not sure that changing to version 10 will result in the same headaches if version 11 means a complete overhaul and whether or not I should build in a normal WordPress theme.

Thank you

I did this a year or two ago with a site, and it wasn’t at all painful. The main issue (at least at the time) was sage-lib, which fortunately has a patched fork floating out there. (See my comment on how to use the fork in composer.json.)

I also just came across this article while looking up the fork above. It may give you what you need. It seemed pretty right on after a quick scan.

All said, Sage is PHP, so as PHP changes and evolves, so will Sage. I’ve found that the jump from PHP 7.4 to 8.0 was a big one, and it’s been a bit easier bumping up to 8.1 and 8.2. Remember, you can always fork and make your own changes to packages to keep legacy projects going.

Good luck out there!

1 Like

Thank you for the reply.

I have decided to build out a new version with Sage 10. But it is really difficult to understand with the current documentation.

Related:

2 Likes