Missing RSS in Sage 9

I noticed that RSS is missing in Sage 9 out-of-the-box and RSS readers can’t detect them on my site. I checked out the code and it is not there. The RSS feed can be added to my sidebar via Widgets or add it to <head> manually in this file: resources/views/partials/head.blade.php

I searched through the forums here and the Github repo only to find this reference to RSS:

That commit is from 2014 so apparently the RSS used to be included but then it must have been removed later on.

Why is that? Can I use the code in the commit to put RSS back into my <head>?

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="<?php echo get_bloginfo('name'); ?> Feed" href="<?php echo esc_url(get_feed_link()); ?>">

Or is there a more elegant way to do so? And, why is RSS not included in Sage 9 out-of-the-box?

Thanks.

You can add a link to the feed in your <head> however you’d like.

RSS is included on every WordPress site. Simply go to /feed/.

I know that it’s at /feed/ but when you copy/paste your site’s homepage URL, for example, and paste it into an RSS reader, it can’t recognize that the website offers any RSS. Same with browser extensions etc.

Sage doesn’t include this by default because it’s intended as a starter theme with minimal functionality to avoid having to strip out unneeded functionality, while leaving plenty of room to add it as needed. You can add RSS auto discovery to your site easily following this guide (adapting the code for Blade as needed).

1 Like