Permissions error? "Unable to create directory uploads/yyyy/mm..."

I’m using Bedrock on its own, without ansible or vagrant. Everything seemed to be fine, but I just ran into this error when trying to upload a photo through the page editor:
“Unable to create directory uploads/2016/08. Is its parent directory writable by the server?”

I’ve had permissions issues in the past, but I feel like my file permissions are correct…

The ‘/web/app’ folder and ‘/web/app/uploads’ folders are both set to drwxr-xr-x (755). And, WP has no trouble loading content from the themes or plugins folders.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Soooo… I managed to fix the issue with the media uploader, but I’m still having permissions issues. In troubleshooting, I changed all of the /web/app directories to 777 (which made everything work, obviously) and then changed them back to 755 (as they were before). However, after this change, the media uploader was fixed! Doesn’t make sense, but I decided to just go with it.

Unfortunately, I’m now unable to upload plugins through the “Add New” plugin page. My environment is set to development, and I’ve even added an explicit define('DISALLOW_FILE_MODS', false); to be extra sure it’s not using true as the default.

How can I get the plugin uploader to work. I just did a recursive 755 on all directories, and 644 on all files in the /web/app folder and nothing has changed. Any ideas?

Is it normal to have to fuss with permissions when using Bedrock? It has been a long time since I’ve had this issue with a standard WP install.

Again, any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

You haven’t given any details on your development installation but it sounds kinda scary (no it’s not normal to have to mess with permissions), which is why we usually recommend using Trellis. There’s also Valet.