Plugin Template not being overwritten in Sage 9

I’m using Sage 9. I have read through the documentation for Sage 9 many times now, as well as begun Laravel and Blade training through Laracasts. But am experiencing an issue where I cannot override a Theme Template that is being used by a Plugin.

I have a Plugin installed called ‘WP Hotel Booking’ and it states I can override the Single Room template by placing it in sage/tp-hotel-booking/single-room.php

I have tried this, also tried moving it into resources/views/ and also tried renaming it to single-room.blade.php and putting only <h1>Test</h1> in the file contents. It remains completely ignored.

I am unable to decipher whether this is a problem with the Plugin or related to Blade somehow. Can anyone explain how you go about identifying this?

Hey @s3w47m88 - out of the box, the file resources/wp-hotel-booking/single-room.php should override the plugin template.

To get it more neatly integrated into the Sage file organization and Blade, add this to app/filters.php:

add_filter('template_include', function ($template) {
    if (is_single() && get_post_type() == 'hb_room') {
        $blade_template = locate_template('single-room.blade.php');

return ($blade_template) ? $blade_template : $template;
    }

return $template;
}, 100);

And put your custom template in resources/views/single-room.blade.php.

You can modify that filter as needed if you want to use a different folder or change anything else.

Same approach should work for the plugin’s other templates if you want to override more.

8 Likes

I’m following this solution to Theme My Login plugin templates.

I start converting file to blade format but I stop in an error:

The original:

<div class="tml tml-login" id="theme-my-login<?php $template->the_instance(); ?>">
	<?php $template->the_action_template_message( 'login' ); ?>
	<?php $template->the_errors(); ?>

Blade format:

<div class="tml tml-login" id="theme-my-login@php $template->the_instance() @endphp">
	@php $template->the_action_template_message( 'login' ) @endphp
	@php $template->the_errors() @endphp

Error:

Fatal error: Uncaught Symfony\Component\Debug\Exception\FatalThrowableError: Call to a member function the_action_template_message() on null in /srv/www/website/public_html/wp-content/uploads/cache/00f3f37a810a747360a78716d6edd577d9db6c08.php:3

Sorry @marcelo2605, didn’t see your question until now.

In theory, where is $template being set? That error indicates that it’s not defined (it’s null).

No problem @mmirus. I fixed the problem adding a theme-my-login folder inside resources folder. Inside, I add the TML templates files.

Found this solution here: https://wordpress.org/support/topic/custom-login-template-with-sage-9-theme/

3 Likes

That was the best and short explanation about overwritte templates files in Sage 9.

1 Like