Pushing or pulling uploads with Trellis

Hello!

I wanted to share a small playbook I’m using to sync the uploads between different environments (local to staging, local to prod or vice-versa).

Usage is really simple, drop in at the root of Trellis (where the other roles like server.yml are and use it like this:

ansible-playbook uploads.yml -i hosts/staging --extra-vars="site=example.com mode=pull"

where staging can be replaced by production depending of the environment you want, example.com is the name of the key in Trellis environment file (the same that you use to deploy a site) and mode is push or pull depending on what you want to do with the uploads. When mode is omitted, it will default to push.

I hope it can be useful to someone! :smile:

26 Likes

Thank you for this! I was using rsync separately, and this is awesome.

I am getting this error:
msg: rsync: link_stat “/Users/btamm/Sites/vm/…/site/web/app/uploads/.” failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-45/rsync/main.c(992) [sender=2.6.9]

I ran this: ansible-playbook uploads.yml -i hosts/production --extra-vars=“site=www.structuralbuildings.com mode=push”

Any ideas?

It can be a couple of things. The most frequent is permissions on some files or network problem. First, check if re-running the same command always give you the error. if not, it may have been a network error.

If you always get the error, add --verbose to the sync options of the playbook like that:

rsync_opts: --exclude=.DS_Store,--verbose

Check if it gives you more info to find the problem.

1 Like

Thanks for this awesome script @louim.

I had the same issue and error message as @btamm. To resolve the errors I had to:

1. Change remote_user to a valid username (or ensure web_user is set in my environment config)
  2. Change the sync (for push) to src: "{{ project.local_path }}/web/app/uploads/"
  3. (Optional) change the dest (for pull) to the same as #2 for use with pulling uploads
2 Likes

Thank you @cfx! I updated the original gist with {{ project.local_path }} which is a lot better than hardcoding the value.

So useful! Legend. Thanks for taking the time to do this :slight_smile:

What a great concept thank you for posting this.
So if I were on my local box and wanted to pull from production. Is it written like below?

ansible-playbook uploads.yml -i hosts/production --extra-vars="site=trellis-key.com mode=pull"