Rewrite URL

What are methods of doing URL rewrites? I am using trellis, bedrock and sage.
I have having trouble trying to rewrite the url from:

/services/app
to
/services?page=app

/services/app/1
to
/services?page=app&pn=1

I tried to put rewrite directives inside vagrant machine first: /etc/nginx/wordpress.conf
Before I actually add it to the provisioning template file: trellis\roles\wordpress-setup\templates\wordpress-site.conf.j2

I am new to nginx and having trouble writing the correct rewrite rule.
Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advanced.

This is a good read if your starting out with trying to lock down nginx rewrites vs. return and what is best practice as well as examples.

I just skimmed through it and one of the examples looks like it directly relates to what your asking.

I understand that this is filed under trellis, and I apologize if this is totally off base for your specific use case.

Curious if you’ve considered using some of the WP core rewrite functions like add_permastruct and add_rewrite_rule instead of making edits to your nginx confs? e.g

function app_rewrite_basic() {
  add_rewrite_rule('^services/([^/]*)/?', 'services.php?page=$matches[1]', 'top');
  add_rewrite_rule('^services/([^/]*)/([^/]*)/?', 'services.php?page=$matches[1]&pn=$matches[2]', 'top');
}
add_action('init', 'app_rewrite_basic');

Anywho, I did find this article to be rather helpful in guiding me around nginx rewrites.

Thanks @GFargo

It actually doesn’t matter to me which method of rewrite I have to use as long as it gets the job done.
I’ll try the wordpress way.

@GFargo

I just tried it and found out WordPress Rewrite API does not work in an nginx server.

Hey @wchen02,

I’m currently run WordPress on nginx without any issue; have you checked out this codex page on Nginx in WordPress?

It sounds like you may need to adjust your nginx settings. Is this a multisite or single install we are talking about?

Per Multisite Docs:

To make WordPress work with Nginx you have to configure the backend php-cgi.

If you are already working with WordPress on your server it’s probably worth figuring out why the their rewrite API isn’t functioning. Here is a post that breaks down the rules you’ll need to add to your config block.

This is a Single install.
The site is working fine, but not the URL rewrites (or that I don’t know how).

Thanks for the post. I’ll try it out.

I’m not sure how you came to the conclusion that rewrites don’t work with NGINX. If you see http://your-site.com/your-page/ and not http://your-site.com/index?p=8 or something, then rewrites are working.

1 Like

@wchen02

If you don’t already I’d recommend getting WP Debug Bar plugin. It supports multiple add-on plugins one of which includes Debug Bar Rewrite Rules.

It could be that the desired permastruct that you’ve added is being ignored for a higher priority match. The plugin above should assist in figuring this out.

Thanks @kalenjohnson and @GFargo

I got the url rewrite to work using WordPress Rewrite API.

Here is what I did to rewrite the following 2 URLs:

• /service/app → /service?page=app
  • /designs/desktop/1 → /designs?page=desktop&pn=1

functions.php

$sage_includes = [
‘lib/assets.php’, // Scripts and stylesheets
‘lib/extras.php’, // Custom functions
‘lib/setup.php’, // Theme setup
‘lib/titles.php’, // Page titles
‘lib/wrapper.php’, // Theme wrapper class
‘lib/customizer.php’, // Theme customizer
‘lib/wp_bootstrap_navwalker.php’, // Bootstrap nav walker