Roots theme and buddypress

Can roots theme work smoothly with buddypress?

We don’t provide in-built support for BuddyPress but it has “universal theme compatibility”. This essentially means that you can add your own template that BuddyPress will inject its contents into. This should avoid most of the wrapper issues.

I’m interested in this too. If you find any info, please share. I’ll do the same.

Any info on this yet?

I’ve done initial testing, and there aren’t any issues. I backed out of BuddyPress for the time being because it lacks some basic functionality that I need. For example, it can’t even support WYSIWYG editors in a profile for say…and about section.

But as far as making BuddyPress work with Roots - no problem. I can’t go into the granular details here, but you’re working off a buddypress.php file that you create in the roots folder. You can style this however you want and then call BuddyPress items in with either the_content() for everything, or by individual field such as bp_member_profile_data( ‘field=Name’ ) to pull the name from a profile, etc.

The one thing I’d like to do is deregister the buddypress.min.css file that is added by default. It’s opinionated and makes the groups section look inconsistent to the rest of the non-BP pages. I can’t seem to find any info for this, however.

One thing that can be done, as of BP 2.1.1 (which issues update to 2.1 to fix a bug), is to add the following structure:

/wp-content/themes/mytheme/buddypress/css/buddypress.css

Doing this will overwrite the default file so that you don’t have to use the legacy CSS.

If you want to optimize the them so that there’s no extra HTTP request for this CSS file, copy all the styles into one of your LESS/Sass files and then use the following code to disable this file from loading:

function my_dequeue_bp_styles() {
   wp_dequeue_style( 'bp-legacy-css' );
}
add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', 'my_dequeue_bp_styles', 20 );

@theatereleven did you make roots a child theme of bp-default as described here - http://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/make-your-wordpress-site-buddypress-ready/ ? Or copy over any of the bp-default files to your roots-based theme?

Hi,
here is a topic about how to implement Buddypress with the new Sage 9 Blade template system: Sage 9, Blade and Buddypress