Showcase: GUI Cheat Sheet for Roots commands (MacOS)

Hey guys,

I haven’t been on here much for the past few months as I’ve been working on other projects unrelated to Roots. But since I’m back working on Roots, I thought I’d drop a little gem. Maybe some of you will hate it, but as I was originally a designer and didn’t know how to code, I’m always warm to the idea of a nice GUI and shy away from lack of interface.

Over the years, I’ve come to love iTerm. One time Ben suggested OhMyZsh to me. It sounded cool, but it looked a little too technical for me. Never quite understood what it did, although it seemed it probably made all your commonly used commands easier to run.

Since I’m such a sucker for a beautiful interface and productivity tools, I eventually came across the Paste app (Paste2).

Here’s how it looks used w/ iTerm:

https://jackalope-media.wistia.com/medias/vxds337mbi

• You can pull up your library using shift + command + v.
  • You can download their add-on to enable auto pasting.
  • You can link it to your iCloud account and sync between all apple devices.

It costs $9.99. I’m not affiliated with them, just thought some of you might find some use out of it. Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers!

P.S. If anyone’s too strapped on cash DM me. I’ve talked w/ the creator of Paste before, and maybe if I could get at least a few interested I could ask him for a Roots discount code or something.

1 Like

Nice demo! :sunglasses:

I’m a big fan of Paste too and I moved to it after many years of using ClipMenu. It’s amazing how such a simple application can make such a big difference to productivity. I like that you can also press cmd + shift + v and start typing a few characters to filter the clipboard / saved items.

If you are looking for a friendlier command line, I’d suggest Fish Shell - it works very nicely out of the box and has smart auto completion and lots of other nice little refinements. I prefer it over Zsh. Just as there is OhMyZsh for Zsh, you can try Oh My Fish to make it easier to install extra packages.

Lastly, check out Hyper Term if you haven’t already - it’s like iTerm but written in JS/HTML/CSS :slight_smile:

1 Like