Switching to VS Code

The lack of solid code highlighting in php makes this a non starter for me. After seeing this thread I hoped it changed. It didn’t.

I’ve been using it to replace Atom for the past two weeks and I’m enjoying it. Took a few settings to get shortcuts and other behaviors back to what I like, but it’s much faster and smoother than Atom.

Perfect timing. Unsatisfied with Sublime after 5 years, and PHPstorm not resonating, I’ve been contemplating Atom vs. VS Code. All recent chatter has pointed toward VS Code, especially this discussion. Just installed today. It seems vastly superior to Sublime in every way: extension system, GUI, git integration, “just working”. Perfect balance between text editor and IDE, for me. I get my new Mac today: I’m going to force myself to switch to VSC by not installing Sublime and see if I survive.

Hardest part of the switch is removing the muscle memory to write sublime / and instead code . in the cmd line :smiley:

1 Like

I found the git integration a bit hard to use. I use git-plus on Atom and it seems much easier to add files, commit, and push them. Don’t need a separate screen for it. Does anyone have a good guide for git with Code? Overall, it does seem faster than Atom.

@romero2k Try the GitLens extension

1 Like

This thread has almost interested me enough to give VS Code a try.

I have to say though that currently I’m firmly welded to Atom. I’ve used it since it first appeared and it’s been a fascinating journey. It may have a reputation for being slow but things are improving with every release. I’m running Ubuntu on a powerful Dell portable workstation and it honestly flies.

Text editors have a vaguely religious whiff about them. In the church of Emacs they say that the use of vi is a penance, not a sin. Not sure the same could be said of VS Code. :laughing::laughing:

1 Like

Bump.

1. Bit of a no brainer package for setting up Roots sites faster is RSPG – generates passwords for your vault.yml files.
  2. Also some neat stuff here:
    https://vscodecandothat.com

This extension is for Blade syntax highlight https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=cjhowe7.laravel-blade

add this to user settings to have emmet enable on Blade

"emmet.includeLanguages": {
		"blade": "html"
	},

these user settings also help with stylelint

"files.insertFinalNewline": true,
	"files.trimTrailingWhitespace": true,
	"editor.tabSize": 2,
	"editor.insertSpaces": true,

in workspace settings, set theme folder as working directory will eliminate few cd command if you use integrated terminal

"terminal.integrated.cwd": "./public_html/wp-content/themes/sage"

3 Likes