Too many authentication failures while vagrant ssh

I’m trying to ssh in to my VM example.test with ssh vagrant@example.test. This throws me this error: Received disconnect from 192.168.50.5 port 22:2: Too many authentication failures Disconnected from 192.168.50.5 port 22
I think this sounds like to many ssh-keys are being tried - probably because the id_rsa keyfile is being used. So I would like to direct ssh vagrant@example.test to the one and only ssh key it needs. How can I do this?

I’m aware of the vagrant ssh command, but as I want to make the sync script from @ben work, I need to make the normal ssh work.

I tried ssh -i /path/to/my/example.com/trellis/.vagrant/machines/default/virtualbox/private_key vagrant@example.test but it throws the same error.

Any ideas?

Ok, I got this solved by adding this to `~/.ssh/config on my local machine:

Host example.test
  IdentityFile /path/to/my/example.com/trellis/.vagrant/machines/default/virtualbox/private_key 
  IdentitiesOnly=yes

This will offer ssh the correct keyfile and also restrict it not try any other key (which it will do by default).

This topic was automatically closed after 42 days. New replies are no longer allowed.