Trellis Adds Let's Encrypt Integration

Originally published at: https://roots.io/trellis-adds-lets-encrypt-integration/
Trellis now comes with automated Let’s Encrypt integration for free SSL certificates and the best HTTPS setup. HTTPS is now more important than ever. Strong encryption through HTTPS creates a safer and more secure web while protecting your site’s users. Google even started using HTTPS as a positive ranking for SEO purposes. Roots believes in…

13 Likes

I’ve gotten married, had two kids… some of the best days of my life. But up there is when Trellis got free SSL support :tada:

11 Likes

Amazing…Thank you, Scott!

1 Like

Amazing! :slight_smile:

Now a question everyone knew it will come… Is it going to work on a multisite and how can we use domain mapping with it? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (maybe domain mapping puts domain name to json file, let’s encrypt uses json to create certificates?) Sorry about the ramblings of a madman :wink:

Roots.io for president! Thanks for yet another great feature!

3 Likes

Scott and Phil: YOU ARE AWESOME!

4 Likes

See it in action on the Roots Example Project (GitHub repo):

https://roots-example-project.com/

A+ on the SSL Labs test: https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=roots-example-project.com&latest

3 Likes

Trellis adds every site_hosts to the certificate. So I assume if you were using domain mapping you’d already have the hosts set in there?

2 Likes

The moment we’ve all been waiting for. SSL this easy? Definitely a new era. Roots continues to innovate and move the WP community forward. Thanks so much!

2 Likes

This looks amazing!

Any tips on the right workflow to update my current Trellis ( and Bedrock/Sage ) install? I’m thinking overwriting the files is probably not the way to go. How would i update the /trellis folder with the ‘trellis/master’?

Amazing work guys! We’ve been pushing all our clients to get behind SSLs and this just makes it that much easier!!

1 Like

There’s some existing topics on this such as Best practices to update Trellis

Was just talking with @merchantguru about how LetsEncrypt was coming to Trellis last night at the WP SEA Developer’s Meetup and here it is!

Thanks Scott, Phil and crew for implementing this - it’s amazing and will really help in securing customer and staging sites. Can’t wait to try it out.

3 Likes

So happy this came out today. I was just considering updating the stack of one of my older Wordpress sites this week, then thought “damn then I’ll have to redo the SSL config” which was almost a deal breaker (probably out of laziness).

So with this update, does it require any custom NGINX configuration? Or is it entirely automated from the yml file?

Big up to Scott and Phil, and the rest of the Roots team. You guys kill it. Looking forward to Let’s Encrypt. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

2 Likes

Guys this is ridiculously awesome. Thanks so much!

1 Like

It’s all automated as mentioned many times :slightly_smiling:

1 Like

I just couldn’t believe my ears :slight_smile:

This is truly awesome!
Quick question, if you’re not using Trellis for the actual deployments, could you add the ssl provider variable to your .env file or is that not gonna work?
Thanks!!!

We strongly encourage everyone to use letsencrypt and turn SSL on. In the near future we will be making SSL via Let’s Encrypt the default in Trellis.

Does this mean that you’ll be removing the manual option and won’t officially support other 3rd party certificates which aren’t self signed or provided by letsencrypt?