Trellis does not yet support Python 3.6.4

ansible

After I clone the trellis and bedrock repos to the relevant directory and run vagrant up, I receive this error.

ERROR! Trellis does not yet support Python 3.6.4.
Please use Python 2.7.

I’m on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and when I run python --version I get back 3.6.4.

Looking at other posts on this board, I notice that people recommend uninstalling python 3 in order to default back to python 2. I use python 3 for work and I would prefer not to uninstall it. Is there a way I can have the relevant trellis/ansible files use python 2 instead of my default python 3?

Try a python version manager:

I installed pyenv, then install python 2 with pyenv and then set the local python version to 2.7 but the installation still failed with the same exact message.

I tried virtualenv too and it didn’t work.

virtualenv --python=/usr/bin/python2.7 trellisenv
source tresslisenv/bin/activate
vagrant up

Still gives my the python version error.

I got it working with Anaconda.

conda create --name trellisenv python=2.7
source activate trellisenv
conda install ansible=2.5.3
vagrant up

It successfully installs using this method, but when I go the address stipulated by canonical, the local server doesn’t load in my browser. Not sure what the issue is, but at least it apparently installed correctly.

I’ve successfully used virtualenv and virtualendwrapper. I already had Python 3 and 2.7 from homebrew.

pip install virtualenvwrapper
export WORKON_HOME=~/Envs
mkdir -p $WORKON_HOME
source /usr/local/bin/virtualenvwrapper.sh
mkvirtualenv -p /usr/bin/python2.7 p2
pip install ansible==2.5.3.0
vagrant up

So whenever I want Python 2, I use that virtualenv. Otherwise I just use Python 3 without it.

Hi all,

I have seen you were working on making Trellis python3 compatible (branch trellis/python-3-compat).
What is the advancement of that? Would it be useable at beta stage?

Thanks

bump @swalkinshaw ?

Thanks in advance!