Trellis on Windows - "Vagrant up" hangs on "ssh auth method: private key.."

Hey there, I was working for a while this weekend to try to set up Roots on Windows. I used Parallels (to install Windows 10) and followed this: Where can I find a complete tutorial for Windows? Trellis + Sage - #3 by QWp6t - In the end it seems like this could be fairly easy for Windows-based developers to get this set up by simply installing Virtualbox, Vagrant and then Git for Windows: https://git-for-windows.github.io/

I got all of these things installed, ran Vagrant Up (after creating my SSH Key: https://help.github.com/articles/generating-a-new-ssh-key-and-adding-it-to-the-ssh-agent/#platform-windows). Everything moves along until:

default: SSH auth method: private key
Timed out while waiting for the machine to boot. This means that
Vagrant was unable to communicate with the guest machine within
the configured (“config.vm.boot_timeout” value) time period.

If you look above, you should be able to see the error(s) that
Vagrant had when attempting to connect to the machine. These errors
are usually good hints as to what may be wrong.

If you’re using a custom box, make sure that networking is properly
working and you’re able to connect to the machine. It is a common
problem that networking isn’t setup properly in these boxes.
Verify that authentication configurations are also setup properly,
as well.

If the box appears to be booting properly, you may want to increase
the timeout (“config.vm.boot_timeout”) value.

Does any one have any preliminary thoughts as to what might be causing this?

Running a VM inside a VM (e.g., Vagrant VM inside your Parallels VM on your mac) likely has stringent system requirements in terms of

• your CPU’s virtualization support
  • whether your version of Parallels supports guest VMs, and perhaps VirtualBox in particular
  • whether VirtualBox supports being run inside a VM, and inside Parallels in particular

I’d recommend researching those issues (in that order of priority) and how they apply to you. I don’t know the answers except that I remember trying what you’re describing on a 2009 MBP and my CPU didn’t support that level of virtualization.

If you are determined to get it all running on your mac, maybe it would work to run Windows from bootcamp in order to remove one layer of virtualization from the equation (removing Parallels, in this case).

@fullyint Thanks for the feedback! I’ll jump on to a Windows machine and give this another go.

Check my article about setuping Trellis on windows quickly https://medium.com/@payter/how-to-setup-trellis-wordpress-installation-on-windows-for-php-storm-easiest-setup-7cafb570559f . Your issue is there avoided by log into vagrant with credentials instead of keys.

I had exactly the same issue and following Github guide solved it for me. So just create .bashrc file in C:\Users\Your-user\.bashrc and paste the code from the guide.

I switched to cmder as my terminal which I recommend for Windows users. Here are the instructions on how to configure SSH Agent with cmder.