Trellis without Vagrant? My development VM is already setup and does not need Vagrant

How can I use Trellis without Vagrant? My development VM is already setup very OK and does not need Vagrant. I would still like to use the deployment tools and example configurations from trellis.

Can Trellis be configured to not use Vagrant but use my already existing VM?

As an addon to my initial question I would like to ask how to make my already existing VM conform to trellis? How can I run the necessary ansible scripty locally inside the already existing vm?

Thanks for your attention,
Mr. King

Vagrant isn’t required; it’s just integrated by default. If you want to use your own VM (or even a remote development server), you just need to update the development inventory file and make sure Ansible can access your server/VM properly via SSH.

As an addon to my initial question I would like to ask how to make my already existing VM conform to trellis? How can I run the necessary ansible scripty locally inside the already existing vm?

Just like our remote server requirements, we recommend using a bare/stock Ubuntu install. If you’re trying to provision a server with Trellis that already has software configured, things may not work properly so there’s no guarantees there.

If you want run Ansible locally on the VM, then you need to do a few things:

1. make sure Ansible and its requirements are installed on the VM
  2. use a local connection for Ansible. Example hosts file:
[development]
localhost ansible_connection=local
[web]
localhost ansible_connection=local
1 Like