Update a sage/wordpress site after 2 Years (wordpress 4.7.3)

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum.
I work as a Wordpress web designer in Switzerland. I am not a coder and mostly work with premium themes (mostly BRIDGE theme).
Now I have been asked for help by a customer who had a web site created in Spain years ago. The Spanish web designer created this page with Sage and Wordpress / Wocommerce.
The page has not been updated for over 2 years. Wordpress 4.7.3 is currently running.

The customer now wants me to update the theme and Wordpress / Plugins.
Is it easy, feasible for a noncoder at all and can someone recommend a procedure to me.

First aid would be very, very welcome.
I thank and wish you a happy day.
Toni

Sage does not need to updated. It’s a “starter” theme and isn’t intended to be updated.

thank you very much, Ben.
When I am logged in it is written: You have the latest version of WordPress is 4.7.4 (not 5.3.4)
All plugins are old versions, woocommerce e.g. is 2,614.
but I can update it.

Question: how can’t I update and what would be the best way to do it.

Can you tell me if there will be many layout errors?

I would be glad if you could help me a little.

Thank you very much
Toni

Those are WordPress and plugins, which you can and should update. Sage is just a theme. If you’re not sure whether updating WordPress and your plugins will break your site, I recommend setting up a local version or a staging site where you can upgrade and test before running your upgrades in production.

Take a backup before updating and make sure you have (FTP) access to the files in case of errors :+1:

I had to update a sage based theme after about two years as some strange errors cropped up suddenly with the autoloader, etc. My approach was to generate a new, blank sage theme, then overwrite the existing sage theme (the existing sage theme was already under version control/git) and solve, resolve any conflicts and then commit it.

I thank you all for the answers, Ben. I will setting a staging site. But how do I update, when there is no automatic possibility.
When I am logged in it is written: You have the latest version of WordPress is 4.7.4 (not 5.3.4)
All plugins are old versions, woocommerce e.g. is 2,614.
but I can’t update it.

Is there a code that I must change somewhere in a File?

greetings toni

If the WordPress setup is based on Bedrock, WP core and plugins are most likely handled using Composer https://roots.io/bedrock/docs/composer/ .

Sory to all. Found it. seems it is because of a plugin: disable all wordpress updates. I have to deactivat it and the updates will apear.
So for the moment, I thank you for the answers and I hope the best.

have good days
Toni

This topic was automatically closed after 42 days. New replies are no longer allowed.