What are allowed characters for setting the password for MariaDB, and how to make sure they're escaped in the YAML files?

So, I want to set the password for vault for MariaDB in the vault.yml files. I want to generate the passwords randomly. I need to find out two things:

• Are there any restrictions to the characters I can use for MariaDB’s passwords in terms of characters or password length?
  • If I set it as so, how can I make sure to escape the string properly in the YAML file so that the string does not interfere at the time of installation; for example, with ansible, or when the CLI is used?

For example, I want to use this in the command line and generate the password accordingly:

</dev/urandom tr -dc 'A-Za-z0-9!"#$%&'\''()*+,-./:;<=>?@[\]^_`{|}~' | head -c 13  ; echo

I need to make sure it will be fit to run smoothly by just placing it in the YAML files.

Trellis has some magic to treat any of these passwords as a “raw” value so that there’s no restrictions on characters :+1:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 42 days. New replies are no longer allowed.