Who's running Sage on VIP?

I maintain a Sage 9 theme on a site that appears to be headed to VIP. I recognize there are more cost-efficient approaches to hosting but for a variety of reasons (including a steep discount) VIP seems to make sense for us.

The big question for me is how I’ll build, deploy, and manage plugins. I know this environment is fairly restrictive but the VIP engineers I’ve talked to seem eager to make exceptions if need be. I’m coming from hosting on WPE so I have some familiarity with tweaking Sage to fit managed hosting.

These are the deploy documents I’m working from. I imagine I can build the theme in CircleCI without too much trouble, and probably relocate the compiled Blade templates somewhere innocuous. I think using Blade directives should work in the VIP environment.

It looks like the VIP team wants to see plugins outside the WP plugin repo to get their own repos / deployment pipeline through the VIP workflow. I can’t think of any clever way to sync plugins via composer but VIP has support for the WP CLI so that’s an acceptable solution to me.

I think I might move some presentation-specific code from custom plugins to a php file that I require under src. It would be easier to keep under version control and if we ever leave VIP all I need to do is move that code back into a plugin.

Anything I might have missed? Tips and tricks from folks who run this setup? Please do PM if you’re not comfortable leaving info in public.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed after 42 days. New replies are no longer allowed.