Deploying Bedrock/Trellis on Kinsta, understanding the impact

Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for your great projects, I really like what you’re trying to achieve here.

I am new to the whole WP environment and learned about Bedrock & Trellis a week ago. I spent about a week to read docs and set up my local dev environment. I am currently developing a website on WordPress using Kinsta as a hosting provider and my goal is to set up a workflow including local dev. using trellis and deploy to Kinsta staging for tests, Kinsta live for production. So far, there seems to be a perfect fit between what I desire to do and the Trellis/Bedrock approach.

However, before actually trying to deploy on Kinsta staging, I would like to ask a few naïve questions to the roots community:

1. Will trellis actually (re)provision Kinsta’s servers and change their configuration? Or is trellis just used to deploy on Kinsta? Should I expect an impact in terms of performance?

2. Will Kinsta tools to manage my site such the ones below still work? Or should I configure everything using trellis

3. Will using Bedrock/Trellis prevent me from relying on Kinsta for support?

Sorry the silly questions

Cheers

When you use Trellis with Kinsta, you are just using the deploy capability of Trellis, not provisioning the server - Kinsta do that.

So to answer your questions:

Will trellis actually (re)provision Kinsta’s servers and change their configuration?

No

Or is trellis just used to deploy on Kinsta?

Yes

Should I expect an impact in terms of performance?

In your workflow yes - otherwise performance will depend on lots of factors… Kinsta is a great host IMO.

Will Kinsta tools to manage my site such the ones below still work?

Yes

Or should I configure everything using trellis?

That would only apply if Trellis was provisioning the server.

Will using Bedrock/Trellis prevent me from relying on Kinsta for support?

Nope - all the support chats I’ve had with Kinsta a with proper devs who know their stuff and understand Roots.

You’ve made a fine choice! Welcome to Roots :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@ng3 has got you covered!
Just wanted to add that you should probably install the Kinsta MU Plugins. You can get a link by contacting their support. It lets you manage the cache within your site.
Note: Kinsta doesn’t enable caching on staging. If you need that you may want to ask them.

Thanks @ng3 for this brilliant and quick answer. Glad to see that it confirms my assumptions.

@codepuncher - Thanks for the reminder, I should have taken care of that using composer.

One thing I wanted to mention that I just learned moving a site to Kinsta: At least one tool (the “WP Plugins” thing in the Kinsta Dashboard) and possibly others rely on WP-CLI, which is run on the user root (I think) of your site, which is not the webroot if you’re set up to use Bedrock. This means that it won’t see the wp-cli.yml file in Bedrock, and consequently won’t be able to find your WP install and list your plugins. You can fix this super easily by just putting a wp-cli.yml file in public/that has path: current/web/wp in it. the WP-CLI command run by the Kinsta dashboard will pick up that and correctly understand where your install is.

(Putting a config.yml in ~/.wp-cli/ does not work, even though that directory is already there, so you’d think it would.)

4 Likes

Kinsta expects wp-cron.php under Nginx web root. However, Bedrock puts it under /wp/wp-cron.php. To fix it, SSH into your kinsta server and change it via $ crontab -e OR talk to Kinsta support.

Watch out for backups!!!

Since Bedrock puts uploads into ~/public/shared/uploads, Kinsta downloadable backup doesn’t include uploads. In other words, Kinsta downloadable backups only backup the databases.

Offloading to AWS S3 (or similar services) and backing up the bucket is a better choice.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 42 days. New replies are no longer allowed.