Where can I find a complete tutorial for Windows? Trellis + Sage

Might you have any resourceful links to share?

I just want to get rockin’ and rollin’ but everything (for Win users) is scattered. I’m looking for some sort of nipple-fed, spoon-feeding. The docs on this page suck - https://roots.io/trellis/docs/windows/

1. Install VMware Workstation
  2. Download Ubuntu Desktop ISO local
  3. Create new virtual machine (using ISO)
  4. Log into VM using credentials created during install
  5. Install ansible on VM, navigate to this page
  6. ® click new terminal > punch in command to install terminal sudo easy_install pip
  7. Errors + Facepalm + Flip Desk

I invested cash for the theme-development-with-sage-second-edition.pdf but it’s not helpful getting Windows users onboard, stuck on Page 10.

Thanks in advance and take care,

p.s. - just cruising through the Theme Development with Sage eBook, I wonder “Why would anyone use Roots without Soil Plugin?”.

Thanks, we appreciate the constructive input! :expressionless:

I can tell you right now that “Download Ubuntu Desktop ISO local” isn’t required.

Install Vagrant and it’s dependencies, then however you use the command line on Windows, you do the same as on OS X and Linux, you run vagrant up from the Trellis directory, after following the same instructions for installing and setting up Trellis. You don’t create a new virtual machine manually, Vagrant handles all that for you, neither do you install Python or pip manually. I don’t see where you got any of those instructions from the Windows docs.

PRs accepted. :middle_finger:

A Windows User’s Quick Guide to Using Roots Stack

Requirements

While not required, I would also recommend installing the full version of cmder. It will come with git, ssh, and many other binaries and aliases that are needed to get shit done.

Development Environment

(Poached from roots-example-project.com/readme.md)

1. Clone this repository into a working directory (e.g., %userprofile%\Sites)
$ git clone git@github.com:roots/roots-example-project.com.git
  1. Install theme components
# @ roots-example-project.com/site/web/app/themes/sage
$ npm install
$ bower install
$ gulp
  1. Fire up the server (be patient, but watch the console––it may prompt for your system password)
# @ roots-example-project.com/trellis
$ vagrant up
 _Note: to shut down the server:_ `vagrant halt`
  1. Test the install at roots-example-project.dev

Fin.

Following those steps on a new installation of Windows 7-10 should yield you a working copy of roots-example-project.com. You can tinker with it and modify its configuration as needed to suit your needs. You can also follow the instructions in the project’s repo on how to manually compile the stack by yourself.

Trellis on Windows - "Vagrant up" hangs on "ssh auth method: private key.."

lol @ middle finger and cyberbully nickname…gonna try this out right now. cmder looks pretty wicked.

“Friends don’t let friends use Windoze.” :cry: run an OS with an better kernel like Linux or OS X dude.

Easy to say, hard to do sometimes. I’d love to have another machine for Linux and/or macOS, but there isn’t the budget for one right now.

The instructions from @QWp6t are dramatically more straightforward than the main Trellis instructions, thank you!

I followed them through using full Cmder (with git) although I had to run through setting up SSH access to GitHub first.

I ran into problems with Node 7.4.0, but uninstalling and installing 6.9.4 solved those problems.

Also, I had to manually add bower to my Windows PATH.